Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Just quackly


With the Cook and Boys away last night I didn’t finish the chores until 10:00pm, makes for a long day after a 5:30am rise. All the animals were fine – however I have left the chickens locked up until they get home.

George, of course, was ferociously hunger by the time I got home and assaulted me as soon as I got out of the car. His stomach rules our life at the moment. Some of the sows are coming in season thick and fast, this only lasts for three days, then there will be peace again for a few weeks.

Wool went to market today – get paid tonight. It won’t be a lot, but at least I can think about doing the walls of the pig pens before winter. I was hoping to be able to do this before the NSF day – which now looks promising.

It’s going to be a scorcher today, it’s already 30 Deg C, probably get to 32 again and tomorrow they forecast 35 deg C. This, thankfully, is down two degrees from yesterdays forecast. The pigs are handling the heat with out much fuss so far, and now the sheep are shorn they should be alright as well. Of course, today is bread day so another early rise and late night is on the cards.

No comments: