Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Monday, March 16, 2009

Boaring Day


We have so many piglets!! The little buggers are everywhere. Some are still curled up with mums in their nests; some are out exploring the big wide world for the first time whilst others are squabbling over who gets what at feed time. Luckily we have good mums, they don’t mind the crèche style accommodation. They all appear happy, the mums allow us in to look and touch the youngsters and their not trying to escape through the fences.

We had an unwelcome quest appear on Saturday afternoon. It had started to rain at about 4pm so I went inside to have a cuppa’ and sit down. The rain lasted for about half an hour or so, it was a nice drop of about 12mm. I decided once it stopped that I should start doing the pigs, so I went outside. I looked over at the pigs and noticed a pig outside the fence, I thought I’d fixed the fence but it’s not unusual that after rain the fence not work because it shorts out on the wet grass.

As I walked towards the feed shed I looked at the pig again – it looked really clean, but hey, it’s just rained maybe it stayed outside. As I glanced back at it a third time it turned towards me and I could see a bright white tusk silhouetted against the black body – it’s a wild boar! Where did that come from? I ran inside and grab my bow and a quiver of arrows. The boar was about 100metres away and there was nothing between us except long grass, I began to stalk it, through the grass. When I had moved to within 80 metres I convinced myself to have a shot; unfortunately I haven't fired the bow over 30 metres lately and I couldn’t get the range right. After the second arrow whacked into the ground below him he saw me and ambled off. I gathered my arrows and decided to give chase and see where he went; I was only 100 metres down the river when I came upon him again. I was a little surprised and still a little nervous about taking on such a large boar with only a bow – anyway, I shot another arrow in his direction, which probably missed, and sent him running into the bullrushes. I gave up the chase as the light was fading and I still needed to feed the pigs.

Unfortunately feral animals carry a lot of disease, parasites and unwanted genetics so our only option is to destroy them on sight. And I also noted the need to improve my archery skills before I go after another one of those.

I had a drive around the property on Sunday to check things out. Despite the rain we’ve had the gullies are still dry and the dams are almost empty. I came across a number of fox tracks heading towards the farm as well. I saw one this morning disappear under the wool shed as I came out to feed the animals.

Beccy the calf has joined the Bredbo Station Herd down by the river and we tried unsuccessfully to get her back yesterday. The Cook did a fair bit of running around up and down the creek trying to convince her to come home – but it was all in vain.

The Garden is looking pretty sparse at the moment and the Cook spent all day Sunday planting the winter veg. I think she had picked up some seedlings at the markets in the morning. Hopefully we can grow some cabbages and other winter greens if the rain continues.

1 comment:

Liz said...

My Dad used to pighunt with a .303. You're right there. Feral pigs carry all sorts of nasty diseases. If they're healthy though the meat tastes really nice. Like the photo by the way. On the electric fence shorting - I know what you're getting at there. My bull was out two days ago because of a piece of branch on mine. Glad you've had rain sorely needed.

All the best
Liz