Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Above average - at last!


I felt like a Roman Emperor returning from Gaul last night. Being a Tuesday I had a trailer full of bread on the back of the jeep, as I turned into the driveway across the TSR I could see the goats standing atop the rocky hills behind the house. They must have seen me drive in and started racing down the side of the rocky hill. As I pulled up at the gate both Shadow and George where waiting for me and followed me up to the house, by the time I got there, the goats had arrived and the pigs had all come in out of the paddocks. Everybody loves me!!!!!

Yesterday afternoon bought more rain and by 5:00pm we had received more them 20mm for the 24hrs. This takes our monthly rainfall above the average for the first time since June 2006.

So – next it’s the cold. ANZAC day approaches fast and officially that’s the start of the cold weather. All the farms around us have been busy planting the last few days in preparation and the past couple of days’ rain has paddocks starting to turn green already.

Tomorrow the DPI are running their Love Grass Field day on the TSR next door. I can’t go unfortunately, but the Cook has volunteered.

1 comment:

Liz said...

Thanks goodness for that. We've had stuff all rain here for the last 4 weeks. That means in July we'll get it literally in boatloads. Dry as a bone here and the grass growth has slowed down. I'm cutting stock now before winter.

Hope everything is going well for you guys

Best
Liz