Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Sunday, June 21, 2009

It was all worth it!


It’s a quite Sunday evening here in Bredbo. It’s been a very busy week – starting last Monday and it finally finished for me at 5:30pm this afternoon. Friday I had a day off ‘sick’, the Cook had other ideas and I spent the day doing various things including preparing feeds and picking up fencing. I didn’t fell like doing anything – but like the Cook says ‘the farmn wont run itself’.

I had to go into Sydney early Saturday morning to visit the Eveliegh Farmers Markets for our porks debut. When I arrived – an hour late, thanks to NSW Rail, I was quite impressed with the Market setup and feel. The young lady who was running the stall and selling our pork did a magnificent job with the presentation and display of the products. Sha had made some really nice fennel and cummin sausages amoung others and savory meatballs, the rest of the meat was packaged in 1kg lots.

Our Pork

This was the first time that I had tasted our pork and I was a little anxious, but all I can say is that it was beyond description. I was a little anxious about how good it would be, but to my great relief it was better then I had imagined – and I have to confess I got a little emotional. At this point I realise how much we had achieved over the past 18 months and how far we had come from nothing. I also got to try some of the sausages that Melinda had made – exceptional!!!!!
She put me on sample management and I wandered around the crowds handing out small cooked samples of the pork loin. While I handed out the samples many people complimented the pork and brought other people over to try, at times ther e was a line two deep at teh coiunter, by about noon almost all the pork had gone.

The Stall at a quite time

Lots of people stopped and asked about our farm and how the pigs were raised, what we fed them and how many we had. People were really interested to hear where their food had come from and the story of how it got to the markets. We even had a couple of ‘Famous People’ by the some for their Sunday Roast – but I’m not saying who unless I see them again and they say nice things. One of these people stared in an Australian series that I really enjoyed – I even have the DVD set. Here was somebody who had done something that I had enjoyed, now he was going home to enjoy something I had done.

By the end of the day I was drained, I had to walk back throught the rain to the train station and head back to the car. It was dark and cold by the time I got home but I couldn’t wait to ttell the Cook about my day.

Today we had the tractor contractor come over to dig a batch of holes for our conservation fencing project. We managed to dig a good number, some will need a crow baring but the majority are fine. It took all day and I didn’t get back to the house until very late. Tomorrow I have another full day to look forward too.

So in the end, I didn’t like going to the abbitour, luckily it was all over very quickly. Next time I’ll be a little more prepared for what happens, but that’s going to be a couple of weeks away from now.

1 comment:

Jaaam said...

Who did you meet "Troy Dan", I know you have all of his DVDs, was his sister there??? I thought he was a beef man and would not be seen eating pork, free range pork at that!!!