Bredbo Valley View farm - providing quality education in Permaculture and sustainable living practices.

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Homesteading Humour

This came from a Queensland Newspaper after the recent flooding.


Our story this year is also about how ordinary people survive extraordinary events. Part of what it means to be a Queenslander is to laugh in the face of adversity. As I travelled through flood ravage towns I witnessed our sense of humour act as a source of strength.


At the Helidon evacuation centre I met an elderly couple from Grantham whose home had been taken by the waters. As they stood shivering before me the elderly gentleman was too overcome with grief to speak.

His wife, who was missing her top row of teeth, stepped in with all the tenderness of a lifetime partner and said; "Premier, this is my husband. The waters rose fast and I had to leave my teeth behind to save him. Right now I'm not sure I made the right choice."
They lost everything, but they still had each other, and they still knew how to laugh.

Stories like this that have been told and retold across the state. They have raised a smile amongst the misery and have they raised our spirits in our darkest hours.
These are stories told by Queenslanders, like Baralaba piggery owner, Sid Everingham, who was asked by a local reporter if he'd suffered any stock losses in the floods.
"I've had 30 sows and pigs go down the river," he replied.
The next day the front page headline said '30,000 PIGS SWEPT AWAY - PIGS FLOAT DOWN THE DAWSON". The locals wondered how they'd missed the avalanche of pork. Maybe pigs do fly after all.

2 comments:

The Duck Herder said...

gotta love that sense of humor Mr BVVF.

Hope all is well! Do you have any piggies in the show this weekend?

Duckie

Valley View said...

Hey Mrs D

No, they don't have pigs at Canberra Show. Did you do the Bee thing? I dropped in on Friday arvo for a look.

I saw MR D running along Cotter Rd the other Sunday, I waved but he looked to focused to see me.

BVVF